Saturday, November 23, 2013

It's 35 Degrees ...

and there is a berry festival outside our windows! Much as we dislike the invasive Honeysuckle shrubs, they do produce a crop of red berries that the birds absolutely devour this time of year. The Bluebirds have returned ot the yard with new interest. They have been missing a good part of the summer :-( Nuthatch, Cardinal, Titmouse, Chickadee, Blue Jay, Junco, ah! the winter birds seem to have all arrived. Cannot tell if this photo will post so you can see the red berries?
 
 
As I ate breakfast Mrs. Bluebird came and sat on the deck railing, looking in at me and I looked at her. She was puffed up to keep warm and reminded me of a bluebird hued tennis ball! Then, shortly before my coffee was finished, Mr. Bluebird took a similar position, until he decided to fly away in a dash of brilliant blue that left my eyes dancing.
 
The seed feeder is almost empty. This batch of black oiler sunflower seeds has what looks like rabbit pellets mixed in it. I am sure the chipmunks are delighted when those get dumped on the grass down below the deck! Offered the pellets to the dog (who LOVES sunflower seeds) and her response was "Naahh!"
 
Guess I better feed those hungry birds. The suet feeder is depleted, also. The arctic front is due to move in and they will need their fuel to survive.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. We're supposed to get snow tonight, Saturday, perhaps 2 to 6 inches by tomorrow night. I guess winter is here for all of us even though it's still technically Fall.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get lively by the feeder..simple things can bring such enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete