Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happiness - Gratefulness


"Happiness is not what makes us grateful. It is gratefulness that makes us happy." David Steindl-Rast "A Listening Heart" 

Recently, the Lord challenged me to daily make a list of 13 things for which I am thankful. It is quite a challenge. I have found the practice is also good for my soul. The next quote sums it up nicely. 
"The grateful heart is a manifestation of one's true self. Nothing sidelines the ego more effectively than a grateful heart." 
 Albert Nolan "Jesus Today; A Spirituality of Radical Freedom"; Maryknoll/NY; Orbis Books; 2011. (p.109) 

Listing in writing my gratitudes takes me away from myself and into the larger view of life.Last Sunday our Pastor used the Scripture illustration that only one leper turned back to say thank-you to the Lord! (Luke 17:16)


 I pray this holiday you might make time to try listing 13 gratitudes for yourself. 

The quotes above are from a website that sends a daily quote about gratefulness. If you are interested in increasing your gratitude try gratefulness.org

Along with Paul in Philippians 1:3, "I thank my God every time I remember you!" 

Be gentle with yourself, Molly D.

1 comment: