Sunday, August 4, 2013

Streams of Living Water

"Whoever believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 
John 7:38

I recently took the grandgirls and another time, Rowan and his sisters, to the Cincinnati Nature Center. There is a play area there for the children with a recirculating "creek" where they can move stones, build dams, chase toys down the flow of water, generally be kids with a stream no worries about disturbing wildlife or the ecosystem as it as all man made.

Meeting others fascinated by the water...
 Making a dam ...
 Tossing a rock ...

As a child I had a real stream to play in. It made me discover that there were snail shells to found right in Ohio, not just shells from Florida that Grandma Rush brought me. I played with dynamics of water flow and how difficult an engineering challenge that can be. It was icy in early spring and I was glad for my pull-on Totes rubber boots to keep my feet dry.

When I came across the verse in John I was fascinated. I have been on a discovery journey most of my Christian life asking and finding ways to open the flow of that promised Living Water within. We can obstruct or open the flow through our attitudes, choices, habits and yielding to or resisting the Holy Spirit's flow in our lives. Have you checked your stream lately? Is it clogged with logs of unforgiveness or flowing freely with fresh, pure Living Water? Have you asked the Lord to be your Holy Engineer and open that stream within you? I pray for all things joyous and splashy in your inmost being.

2 comments:

  1. A stream moves on no matter what we do to it..it will eventually even go over the dams we try to build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for kids and great thoughts for us.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete