Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Popular Science Metabolic Rates

 
I opened the compost container we keep on the kitchen counter and a CLOUD of fruit flies came out. Yuck! I hate those little buggers. Then I read this article in Popular Science.
 
 
 
 
"At the gym, humans burn roughly two watts of power per kilogram of body weight - only lightly more than an elephant just standing still. But the fastest metabolisms in nature put even our best athletes to shame.
 
 
Yeast burns 269 watts per kilogram {Yeah for Sour Dough Starter!}
Fruit fly burns 34 W/kg {Die and burn out nasty little pests!}
Anna's hummingbird 24 W/kg
Paramecium 2.8 W/kg {One of my favorite microscopic creatures}
 
Human jogging at 6 mph 2.2 W/kg (You will never see me doing that.)
Asian Elephant 0.64 W/kg
Reticulated python 0.085 W/kg (Creeps me out to even type that!)
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how much I'm burning off by reading this post and writing this comment?

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My head has been spinning all day..lots of energy.

    ReplyDelete