Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Moments when I feel like ....

I get a daily quote from Gratefulness.org. From time to time I save the quote for the blog. This one struck home recently when I was getting to know a gal who is older than me. She was battling a round of depression.
"There are moments when I feel like giving up or giving in, but I soon rally again and do my duty as I see it: to keep the spark of life inside me ablaze."
Etty Hillesum An Interrupted Life

In the words of Benedict XVI, in his first general audience on Wednesday after his resignation:

“...I am also thinking of Etty Hillesum, a young Dutch girl of Jewish origin who died in Auschwitz. At first far from God, she discovered him looking deep within her and she wrote: “There is a really deep well inside me. And in it dwells God. Sometimes I am there, too. But more often stones and grit block the well, and God is buried beneath. Then he must be dug out again” (Diaries, 97). In her disrupted, restless life she found God in the very midst of the great tragedy of the 20th century: the Shoah. This frail and dissatisfied young woman, transfigured by faith, became a woman full of love and inner peace who was able to declare: “I live in constant intimacy with God"...”

—Benedict XVI, 13 February 2013

How is your really deep well fairing? Is it clogged and in need of unblocking?

1 comment:

  1. I like the descriptiveness of the internal 'rally' to rekindle the flames of purpose.

    ReplyDelete