Saturday, September 7, 2013

He Poured in the Oil and the Wine!



In Luke 10:30 we read about the Good Samaritan who took care of the man who was traveling and fell into the hands of robbers. "When he saw him, he was moved with pity.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.  The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, 'Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.'" The Good Samaritan is a symbol to us of how Jesus loves us, as well as a model for what our behavior is to be towards our neighbors. 

There was a praise chorus in the 80's that went:
"He poured in the oil and the wine
the kind that restoreth my soul
He found me bleeding and dying
on the Jericho road
And He poured in the oil an the wine."

When I heard the broadcast referred to yesterday from Haven of Rest I distinctly heard that the Samaritan did NOT pour grapes and olives on the wounds.

Here is a simple home video of the song. I find it kind of sweet! At least the guy in plaid looks like he is having fun!

2 comments:

  1. Normally I do not think of oil and wine mixing..they would separate if poured in a glass together. But on a wound I suspect the wine would disinfect and the oil would soothe (protect). A great image-thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wity Bob. A great image and one that I haven't contemplated.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete